When I found this red velvet romper in Urban Outfitters recently I just had to have it! I love the texture of crushed velvet and the way it reflects light, plus it feels really soft. A romper like this is more versatile than you’d think, too! It’s a great option for a girls night out, date night, or you can even style it casually and wear it to class. Since it can be layered, it can be worn throughout fall and even into the winter months. If you’re wondering how to wear a velvet romper, keep reading for a few of my favorite tips.
For this look, I styled mine for a casual night out with friends. Since it has a flirty fit & flare silhouette that looks very feminine, I decided to grunge it up a little by adding tights and Doc Marten knock-offs on the bottom half. (They’re faux leather, for my cruelty-free friends.) I also wore multiple earrings and ear cuffs so it would look a little edgier. To add some glamour, I curled my hair and wore it down, then used pretty hair accessories to pin it to one side.
How to Wear a Velvet Romper
- Select one velvet piece and let it be the focus of your outfit. Too much velvet can be overwhelming, so pick a statement piece and build around it.
- Darker velvets are usually more flattering than brighter tones. Consider rich burgundies, navy blues, or dark gold tones for fall. For a classic or understated look, go with a pewter grey or black option.
- To grunge it up (like I did above): Pair it with chunky accessories like clunky boots, bold leather chokers, and a fun satin bomber jacket in black or grey.
- To make it more feminine: Select lighter colors and dainty accessories. I would wear small gold earrings and ballerina flats if I was going for a girlie vibe.
- To make it school appropriate: Add layers! A velvet romper looks really cute with a thin turtleneck underneath and a jacket tossed over it so you only get a peek at the velvet. Add a fun hat and keep the darker tights and boots like I’m wearing here, and you’re good to go.
- Summertime style: In warmer weather, go with white kicks, a white t-shirt underneath, and maybe add a long, thin choker just for fun.
Need More Inspiration?
Here’s how a few bloggers and Instagrammers have styled this or similar rompers. Plus, check back tomorrow to see the fun bomber jacket I paired it with!
Need Additional Options?
Here are a few other options I like, including a few long sleeve versions to get you through the winter months.
I hope these tips come in handy. I love this romper, so it will definitely turn up again here on the blog styled a few different ways. It comes in a few other colors I really like, but I particularly have my eye on the grey option. I hope you’re having a great week!