Do you exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet, but still shy away from throwing on the ol' bikini? When you reach for a coverup, do you prefer one that hides, well…pretty much everything? Have no fear; I'm here to help. Today I'm sharing a few dietary tips to help you avoid last-minute puffiness, so you can get bikini-ready in no time.
Cutting the following items from your diet for a short period of time won't necessarily cause you to lose weight. However, you will shed excess water and eliminate bloating, which means you'll look leaner and better in your swimsuit!
FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means we’ll receive a small referral fee from purchases at no cost to you. You can read our affiliate policy here. We donate 25% of our “click money” proceeds to charitable organizations.
CUT OUT THESE FIVE ITEMS ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU PUT ON A BIKINI
1. SALT: Salt is the ultimate enemy when you're trying to appear leaner, because excess salt makes you retain water (source). When that happens, you'll appear puffier. (Think Pillsbury Dough Boy. Not the effect one typically strives for in a bikini, right?) Cut your salt intake by not adding any extra salt to your food — hide your salt shaker if necessary — and by cutting out as many processed foods as possible. Deli meats and canned soups are foods many assume are healthy, but they actually contain high amounts of sodium. Check the label on all processed foods and avoid any with high sodium levels. Even better, just stick to fresh foods!
2. CARBONATED DRINKS: You probably know this by now, but soda has no redeeming health qualities. It's particularly bad if you want to look good in a bikini, because the carbonation in soda can cause unnecessary belly bulge. Do your body a favor and ditch the soft drinks for good! While you're at it, cut out sparkling water, beer, champagne, and anything else bubbly a week prior to donning a two-piece.
3. SUGAR: High levels of sugar can cause you to gain weight over time, but did you know fructose and sorbitol — sweeteners found naturally in many fruits and veggies — can cause bloating (source)? Avoid eating fruits high in these sugars, such as peaches, oranges, apples, and pears. Some veggies, such as onions and artichokes, also contain fructose. Don't give up these healthy items for good, just try limiting them in the week prior to a bathing suit event.
4. GUM: While it may seem like a good idea to keep your mouth occupied with gum so you won't stuff it with fattening foods, that isn't always the case. Gum often contains sugar and high-fructose corn syrup, both mentioned above as a no-no. Plus, when you're chewing gum, you're swallowing air…and that causes bloating.
5. RAFFINOSE: What is raffinose, you may ask? It's another type of sugar naturally occurring in many foods, but it is also known to cause bloating. The most common culprits are beans, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, and kale. They're great foods to have in your diet, just not the week before you want to appear lean and mean in your bikini.
I hope these tips help you feel a little more confident when the time comes to rock a bikini. After all…
Have a great week, and please let me know in the comments if you have any questions. You may also be interested in reading my fitness tips in this post or this one, and be sure to check back at the end of each week for Fitspo Friday!
Disclaimer: I’m not a trainer, I just like motivating others to workout and live a positive and healthy lifestyle. It’s always best to check with your doctor if you have questions prior to beginning a new fitness routine.
FF Gallery 1 || FF Gallery 2 || FF Gallery 3 || FF Gallery 4 || FF Gallery 5 || FF Gallery 6 || FF Gallery 7 || FF Gallery 8 || FF Gallery 9 || FF Gallery 10 || FF Gallery 11 || FF Gallery 12 || FF Gallery 13 || FF Gallery 14 || FF Gallery 15 || FF Gallery 16 || FF Gallery 17
FF: Ab Gallery 1 || FF: Ab Gallery 2 || FF: Ab Gallery 3 ||FF: Ab Gallery 4 || FF: Ab Gallery 5||FF: Ab Gallery 6|| FF: Ab Gallery 7 || FF: Ab Gallery 8 || FF: Ab Gallery 9 ||FF: Ab Gallery 10|| FF: Ab Gallery 11 || FF: Ab Gallery 12 || FF: Ab Gallery 13 || FF: Ab Gallery 14 || FF Ab Gallery 15 || FF Ab Gallery 16 || FF Ab Gallery 17