I recently decided to dye my hair pink! It seems I can't keep my hair the same for very long, can I? I was aiming for a cotton candy color and that's exactly what I got, so I really like the way it turned out! If you want a similar look and already have blonde hair, read on for my pastel pink hair dye tips.
A before & after shot of my pink highlights.
Just so you know, I'm not trying to exclude anybody! Sadly, the light pink color simply won't show up on darker hair. You'd have to bleach your hair first for such a light color to show. So, that's why this is only a tutorial for blondes or for those who at least have a few blonde highlights.
FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means we’ll receive a small referral fee from purchases at no cost to you. You can read our affiliate policy here.
Pastel Pink Hair Dye Instructions:
- Select your color. I used Color Brilliance in Pink Flamingo from Sally Beauty Supply. It's a semi-permanent hair dye, because I wasn't sure I wanted a long-term commitment.
- Make sure you start out with clean, dry hair. I don't like to wash my hair too much in the days following a dye job, because it will fade the color faster. You can skip pre-conditioning, because the color will adhere better if your hair is porous. Conditioning seals it too much.
- Paint the color onto hair using your fingers (make sure to cover them with thin gloves). Select random strands and add as much or as little color as desired.
- Let the color sit for a really long time. The longer you leave it on, the more saturated it will become…to a certain extent. I left mine in for approximately 4 to 5 hours! I wrapped my hair in a towel (so I wouldn't accidentally get pink dye on the couch) and then went about my day.
- Rinse hair well using cool water. Be prepared to have a really pink shower! I added a lot of conditioner when I rinsed my hair so it would be really soft and easy to comb. I've been using Redkin's All Soft conditioner recently and I think it does a good job.
Need additional help? Here are a few products to keep your pink locks looking their best:
Thanks for reading! Please let me know in the comments if you have any questions. Please sign up for our newsletter or follow on Bloglovin’ to be notified as soon as a new post is published. Have a great week!