Since we almost always end up with our hair in a messy bun at some point during the day, we thought we'd share a few new favorite hairstyles found around the web to inspire your next updo. Whether you're going for a neat low bun or an effortlessly casual top knot, we've covered all the bases.
FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means we’ll receive a small referral fee from purchases at no cost to you. You can read our affiliate policy here. We donate 25% of our “click money” proceeds to these charitable organizations.
Steps to Create a Basic Messy Bun
- Gather your hair and twist it into a donut shape, then secure a hair band around the outer edge.
- Begin pulling random pieces loose from the band until you’ve reached the desired level of messiness.
- Use a bobby pin to secure some or all of the loose ends. Your bun will look neater if you secure the ends and it will also cause the wisps to “poof” out further when you pin them. Leave wisps unpinned if you prefer a messier look.
Messy Buns Hair Products
Here are a few of our favorite hair products to help master the messy bun:
- Frederic Fekkai Full Blown Volume Styling Whip: Use this mousse if you're creating a bun on clean hair because it will help hair hold the shape better.
- Batiste Dry Shampoo – Tropical Scent: Use this if you're creating a bun on 2nd day hair to help rid roots of the oily/greasy look.
For more inspiration, you can follow our hair board on Pinterest and we also share hair ideas on Instagram. Check out our favorite messy bun tutorial that we’ve created here: Summer Hair: Messy Bun and Braid Tutorial. If you want to stay in touch, be sure to follow on Bloglovin’ or sign up for our newsletter. Have a great week!