A messy bun is one of the easiest ways to look stylish without expending a lot of effort. It also happens to be our favorite hairstyle! We never tire of it, but we do sometimes run out of ways to freshen it up. If you're wondering how to do a messy bun or are just in need of inspiration, you're in the right place! Today we've rounded up a few ideas from Pinterest to inspire your next messy bun hairstyle (click on any image to view it larger):
FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means we’ll receive a small referral fee from purchases at no cost to you. You can read our affiliate policy here. We donate 25% of our “click money” proceeds to these charitable organizations.
How to do a Messy Bun
- Gather hair and twist it into a donut shape, then secure a hair band around the outer edge.
- Begin pulling random pieces loose from the band until you've reached the desired level of messiness.
- Secure loose pieces with bobby pins for a more controlled look (see 2nd to last photo as an example), or let flyaways go free for a more artistic messy style (the majority of the looks we've shown).
It's better to only pull a few pieces loose for a wispier look if you're headed to work. Save the messier styles for the weekend!
How to do a Messy Bun: Video Tutorial
If you're a visual learner, here's my tutorial showing how to do a messy bun on YouTube.
Press the arrow to play or click here to view on my YouTube channel.
Hair Products to Master the Messy Bun
- Frederic Fekkai Full Blown Volume Styling Whip: Use this mousse if you’re creating a bun on clean hair to help hair hold the shape better.
- Batiste Dry Shampoo – Tropical Scent: Use this if you’re creating a bun on 2nd day hair to help rid roots of the oily/greasy look. This product also helps to add texture so the bun will better stay in place.
Hair Too Healthy for a Messy Bun?
When healthy hair is thin in texture, it's often too slippery to stay in a bun. The best way to combat this issue is by using a texturizing spray to add a light, matte finish to the surface of the strands. Here are a few we recommend:
- Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Spray: We like this option because it creates just the right amount of lightweight texture without making hair feel sticky. It also smells great and the price can't be beat! (It's typically around $5.) You can order it here via Amazon.com if you have a Prime account or purchase here from ULTA.
- Herbivore Sea Mist: We've long been a fan of Herbivore products for their commitment to organic ingredients and their cruelty-free policy. This lavender-scented mist from Urban Outfitters is a great option because it smells great and is also very lightweight. It doesn't leave that “crunchy” residue you get from some texturizing products.
Need More Inspiration?
Here are more messy buns to inspire you and you can also follow our hair board on Pinterest. We hope this helps the next time you feel like tossing your hair into a casual, yet still stylish bun! You can check out our favorite messy bun tutorial that we've created here: Summer Hair: Messy Bun and Braid Tutorial. If you want to stay in touch, please follow on Bloglovin’ or sign up for our newsletter. Have a great week!